10 truths about solid state lithium ion battery
- What is the solid state lithium ion battery?
- Do solid state lithium ion batteries last longer? What factors will affect the lifespan of solid state lithium ion batteries?
- Specifications of the solid state lithium ion battery
- What are the advantage and disadvantages of solid state lithium ion batteries?
- What is the best living environment for a solid state lithium ion battery?
- What are the differences between the solid state lithium ion battery and li-ion battery?
- Which one is better, a solid state battery VS a li-ion battery?
- Why do we need to develop solid state lithium ion battery?
- Is there a future for solid state batteries?
- Will solid state lithium ion batteries replace li-ion batteries?
Lithium batteries are divided according to the cathode material system, which are mainly divided into lithium cobalt oxide (LCO), lithium manganate (LMO), lithium iron phosphate (LFP), ternary materials (nickel cobalt lithium manganate (NCM) and nickel cobalt aluminate. Lithium (NCA)) and other technical routes, and the anode is made of pure lithium metal.
1. What is the solid state lithium ion battery?
A solid state lithium ion battery is the new battery technology in which solid electrolytes operate instead of liquid. It’s all parts made up of solid substances. The internal structure of the solid state lithium ion battery cells comprises a cathode, solid electrolyte, and anode. In this, way, there is an article of lithium ion battery electrolyte for you to get more information about it.
The solid-state electrolyte is made of solid state electrolytes (SEs) include polymer electrolytes (SPEs), inorganic electrolytes (ISEs), polymer/ceramic composite electrolytes, and the like. It acts as an electrolyte which provides a medium for the movement of ions between cathode and anode. The reason for the development of solid state lithium ion batteries is that they high energy density and safety.
2. Do solid state lithium ion batteries last longer? What factors will affect the lifespan of solid state lithium ion batteries?
The solid state lithium ion battery is a long-lasting and fast charging that maintains more energy while occupying less space. It is long-lasting because all-solid-state battery electrolytes age less than liquids. It can be charged and discharged up to 9000 times. Experts also did a relevant research about lithium ion battery cycle life. And you can read it from our website.
There are the following factors that can affect the life span of solid state lithium ion batteries:
- Internal chemistry of the cells.
- Suitable environments.
- Internal structure and design of the batteries.
During charging and discharging, ions move between the cathode and anode in lithium batteries. Certain compounds in battery electrolytes, the liquid materials that enable key chemical reactions in batteries, promote the growth of dendrites. Dendrites are tiny, rigid, tree-like structures that grow in lithium batteries, with needle-like protrusions called dendrites.
Both of these things will have an effect on the separator inside the battery. While the solid state lithium ion battery is designed with a multilayer to control and restrict the penetration of lithium dendrites between cathode and anode.
3. Specifications of the solid state lithium ion battery
- Capacity & Voltage: The capacity and voltage depend on the nature of solid electrolytes. The solid-state lithium ion battery assembled with LiCoO2 shows a capacity of 188.7 mAh g−1 over 200 cycles at 4.5 volts and 60 degrees.
- Weight: Solid state batteries do not need a cooling system and occupy less space than Li-ion batteries. It will give more power to automobiles Since there is no electrolyte in solid state batteries, storage will become easier. When used in large equipment such as automobiles, there is no need to add additional cooling pipes, electronic controls, etc., which not only saves costs, but also effectively reduces weight.
- Energy density: Solid state batteries have a high energy density of about 300 Wh/Kg which give a 500 km drive range to automobiles.
- Working temperature: The solid state lithium ion battery does not need unusual thermal management. The ionic conductivity of electrolytes increases with increasing temperature.
- Self discharge rate: Solid electrolytes have negligible self-discharge due to low electronic conductivity.
4. What are the advantage and disadvantages of solid state lithium ion batteries?
- The solid state lithium ion batteries have high energy density and safety.
- They use solid electrolytes which are more stable, less flammable, more efficient, and safe.
- The solid state lithium ion battery is long-lasting and has fast charging time.
- It is smaller in size and holds more energy.
- Battery self-discharge is greatly reduced.
- A solid-state lithium ion battery is at its early stage of development. The material for a solid electrolyte with better conductivity has yet to be developed.
- It’s still a long time to go before its mass production.
- The material preparation of the solid state lithium ion battery is costly. The preparation process is complex and the technology is not mature enough.
5. What is the best living environment for a solid state lithium ion battery?
The drawback of solid state lithium ion batteries is the low ionic conductivity of electrolytes. But, the solid state lithium ion battery does not need too much thermal management. The ionic conductivity of electrolytes increases with increasing temperature.
Solid electrolytes endow solid state lithium batteries with the characteristics of compact structure, adjustable scale, and large design flexibility, which can be applied to drive microelectronic devices, as well as power and energy storage fields. In addition, solid state batteries also have a wider temperature working range, and the temperature range of -25°C to 60°C is basically guaranteed at present.
6. What are the differences between the solid state lithium ion battery and li-ion battery?
- Small volume
Since there is no separator, it is replaced by a solid electrolyte. Under the same energy density, the thickness of the solid state battery will be smaller. Secondly, in terms of weight, after using a solid electrolyte, the graphite negative electrode can be replaced by metal lithium to reduce the amount of negative electrode material and significantly reduce the weight of the entire battery.
- High price
The high cost of all-solid state batteries is mainly limited by two points. The first is the cost of raw materials; the second is that all-solid state batteries have extremely high requirements on the production environment. Thus, lithium battery is more cost-efficient.
7. Which one is better, a solid state battery VS a li-ion battery?
Due to the unique characteristics of solid state lithium ion battery is expected to use in equipment in the space station. Hitachi Zosen Corporation made an agreement with Japan to test their solid state battery in the harsh environment of space instead of a li-ion battery.
While solid electrolytes are used in solid-sate lithium ion batteries. They can be used at high temperatures. Moreover, ions move faster in solid state electrolytes than in liquid. As compared to a Li-ion battery, a solid state lithium ion battery is lighter, charges faster, last longer, high energy density and safety.
However, solid state lithium batteries are still in the research and development stage and still require a lot of time, energy and money to develop solid state battery products that are more stable and suitable for mass production. The lithium ion battery, which has become the most popular battery in the world, has been widely commercialized on a large scale and has become a very common thing in people’s daily life.
At the same time,lithium ion battery also has many advantages like long lifespan and free maintenance, and it is safe and good for the environment. And the cost of LIB is cheaper than solid-stare battery. So at present, lithium ion battery is still a better choice.
8. Why do we need to develop solid state lithium ion battery?
It is always challenging for battery technology to develop high energy density and safe batteries. Commercial lithium ion batteries perform good enough to achieve high energy density. Yet, battery technology still needs significant modifications in energy density and long cycle life. To compensate for this need, solid state lithium ion battery technology may potentially be the final frontier of technology.
9. Is there a future for solid state batteries?
Solid state lithium ion batteries seem to have tremendous potential for the future. This is because they have many advantages. The solid state battery may be the new and future battery technology. Perhaps the solid state batteries will get rid of the automobile from combustion engines and save fossil fuels.
10. Will solid state lithium ion batteries replace li-ion batteries?
A solid state battery is an emerging battery technology because of its high energy density. The performance of solid state batteries is good because ions move faster in the solid state. It may be replaced in the future, but the solid state lithium ion battery itself can also be counted as a type of lithium ion battery. What are the common lithium ion battery types? You can click our article to find the answer.
Leave a Reply