A clear introduction of voltage in aaa battery
- What is aaa battery? Which kinds of batteries belong to aaa battery?
- What is the voltage in aaa battery?
- What are the differences between the voltage in aaa NiMH battery and aaa lithium battery?
- How does a voltage change when charging and discharging lithium aaa battery?
- How to check the battery voltage?
- What factors will affect the voltage of battery and how to affect?
- How does voltage affect the performance of a battery?
- How much voltage does it take to charge an aaa battery?
- How do we choose different voltage of a battery?
Aaa batteries are small batteries that act as the energy source for different small devices. These are called triple-A batteries. The nominal voltage in aaa battery is 1.2V or 1.5v. The rechargeable aaa batteries are one of the most popular ones and can last for years. And what about the voltage of lithium battery? Here’s a lithium-ion battery voltage article for you.
1. What is aaa battery? Which kinds of batteries belong to aaa battery?
Aaa batteries are cylindrical having a length of 44.5mm and a diameter of 10.5mm. The voltage in aaa battery is 1.2 or 1.5v. There are many other specialized terms used for aaa batteries like AM4, MN2400, etc. The aaa batteries have several applications like clocks, TV remote controls, toys, cordless phones, etc.
The aaa in the aaa battery represents the fixed size of the battery. So all aaa batteries are of the same size, but the battery material is not necessarily the same. So there are different types of aaa batteries according to the material. On the basis of this, and chemical reactions occurring, aaa batteries are divided into two categories.
① Primary aaa battery
Primary aaa batteries are non-rechargeable batteries. These batteries are for one-time use. Once the battery is fully discharged, it could not be used again. These batteries are classed into four groups as follows:
- Zinc-Carbon Batteries
In these batteries, electrodes are made up of zinc and carbon while zinc chloride is used as an electrolyte. This aaa battery has the lowest capacity of 500–600 mAh, thus, they are used for devices that require less current or less energy for proper functioning. The voltage of zinc-carbon aaa batteries is 1.5V.
Alkaline batteries have almost the same functions and structure to that as zinc-carbon batteries but the only difference is the electrolyte used. In alkaline aaa batteries, KOH is used. Potassium hydroxide is used because of it’s alkaline nature. The alkaline aaa batteries have voltage of 1.5V. Such batteries have higher energy capacities (850–1,200 mAh) as compared to zinc-carbon batteries.
- Lithium iron disulfide
Lithium iron disulfide batteries have lithium and iron disulphide as the electrodes. Anode is made of lithium while cathode consist of iron disulfide. The minimal voltage in aaa battery is 1.5V having an energy density of around 1,200 mAh. These batteries are considered to be having long lifespans of up to 20 years and are used in panic alarms, cameras, and high-power lighting.
② Secondary aaa battery
Secondary aaa batteries are rechargeable batteries. This indicates that such types of batteries could be used again and again by the recharging abilities. There are three major types of secondary aaa batteries which are as follows:
- Nickel Cadmium batteries
The nickel-cadmium aaa batteries consist of nickel oxide hydroxide and cadmium electrodes. Moreover, potassium hydroxide is used as an electrolyte. The voltage in these aaa batteries is 1.2V. The energy capacity of these batteries is 300 and 500 mAh.
As cadmium is dangerous heavy metal, thus, to conserve the environment such batteries are now replaced by metal hydride batteries.
- Nickel-metal hydride batteries
The functions and chemistry of nickel-metal hydride batteries are very much similar to nickel-cadmium batteries. The major difference is of alloy used. In these batteries, cadmium is replaced by another metal. NiMH battery has a nominal voltage of 1.2V with an energy density of 600–1,300 mAh. However, this kind of battery have high self-discharge rate.
- Lithium-ion batteries
Lithium-ion aaa batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.2-3.7V having capacity of 350 to 600 mAh. This shows that lithium-ion batteries could be used in various devices and equipment like energy storage equipment and power tools. You can read the article of lithium ion battery applications to know more about the application of lithium battery. Besides, they have lots of advantages so they are more widely used than other batteries.
2. What is the voltage in aaa battery?
The common voltage in aaa battery is of 1.2 or 1.5V. When the voltage is lower than 1v, it will reach its minimum working voltage and do harm to the battery. The battery could not be discharged below a standard, otherwise, it may damage the battery. This is called as cut-off voltage.
3. What are the differences between the voltage in aaa NiMH battery and aaa lithium battery?
There are many different aspects that differentiates lithium-ion batteries from nickel metal hydride batteries. Both batteries also varied in the amount of voltage provided. The voltage of nickel metal hydride aaa battery is 1.2 V while li-ion aaa battery has voltage of 1.5V. That means li-ion battery has greater cell voltage than nickel metal hydride battery.
Lithium-ion batteries are better than Ni-MH batteries because
- Lithium-ion batteries require no maintenance and have a s low self-discharge rate whereas the nickel metal hydride batteries requires maintenance and have high self-discharge rate.
- Lithium-ion batteries are lighter in weight than nickel metal hydride batteries.
- Lithium-ion batteries are environmental friendly as compared to nickel metal hydride batteries.
- Lithium-ion batteries have high power than nickel hydride batteries.
- The specific energy of lithium battery is 110-140 W.h/kg whereas the specific energy for Ni-MH battery is 30-80 Wh/ kg.
4. How does a voltage change when charging and discharging lithium aaa battery?
The nominal voltage required for the proper functioning of lithium batteries is 3.2-3.7 volts. But the nominal capacity of lithium aaa battery is 1.5v. Most of the lithium aaa batteries have been treated with constant voltage, and the charge and discharge are 1.5v.
During discharging, terminal battery gets connected to the load. From the negative electrode, lithium ions are released which then travel towards the electrolyte and gets absorbed by the positive electrode.
5. How to check the battery voltage?
The voltage in aaa battery is an essential property to be possessed. It can be measured in two different ways by two different devices as follow:
- The basic function of voltmeter is to measure the electric potential difference between the two points of a circuit. For measuring voltage by voltmeter. When we are measuring a battery, we should obey the following steps. The voltmeter must be connected in parallel with the battery under test.
- Let the current flow in from the positive terminal of the voltmeter and flow out from the negative terminal.
- The measured voltage cannot exceed the range of the voltmeter. If the measured voltage cannot be estimated, use the test touch method to test it.
For measuring voltage with Multimeter considering a 9V battery:
- Firstly, disconnect the battery.
- Rotate multimeter knob and set the voltage to 15-20 V DC power.
- Now connect red probe plug to VΩmA part of multimeter and black probe plug to COM part of multimeter. After that, connect multimeter terminals with battery terminals ( positive terminal with red probe and negative terminal with black probe).
- Note the reading of multimeter. If value is greater than 7V for a 9V battery, then battery is good to go. But if the value is lower than 1V for a 9V battery, then battery can be dead.
6. What factors will affect the voltage of battery and how to affect?
The voltage in aaa battery could be affected by many factors depending upon the chemical reactions and several other conditions taking place. The factors that can affect the voltage of the battery are:
- Temperature: Voltage of the battery decreases with the increase in temperature. It is because temperature effects the resistance which ultimately affects rate of chemical reactions occurring.
- Concentration: The concentration of reactants has a direct relation with voltage of battery. In a electrochemical cell, the increase in reactants concentration increases the voltage difference. More reactants concentration will allow more reactions to occur in forward direction that increases the voltage.
- Battery series voltage increases: When connected in series, the positive and negative electrodes in the middle of the two batteries are together, and the potential is the same, so the potential difference (voltage) between the two ends increases.7.How does voltage affect the performance of a battery?
The energy of a battery is measured in wh. If a battery has high voltage, then the overall energy of the battery may also be larger. Moreover, high voltage battery experiences less loss of energy and is more efficient than lower voltage battery.
7. How does voltage affect the performance of a battery?
The energy of a battery is measured in volts. If a battery has high voltage, then battery will have more energy. The charging and discharging voltages also varies and sometimes this can result in reduction of battery’s efficiency. In some cases, a side reaction in a battery which affects the performance of battery in other ways occurs.
8. How much voltage does it take to charge an aaa battery?
The best and suitable voltage in aaa battery is 1.5V. If the voltage is between 1.1V and 1.5V, then it could also be considered suitable. But if the voltage drops below 1V, then the battery is likely to be damaged. Thus, it is necessary to keep the voltage in aaa battery above 1.1V. The batteries condition can also be tested using voltmeter which detects that how much energy/power is left in the batteries.
9. How do we choose different voltage of a battery?
The batteries are grouped and placed in serial arrangement to increase the voltage in aaa battery and in a parallel arrangement to improve current.
Select the battery’s characteristic parameters such as open circuit voltage, internal resistance, and capacity.
- Thermal management
If the internal resistance is inconsistent, the battery will have different heat. Coupled with a thermal management system, the temperature difference across the battery pack can be adjusted to keep it within a small range.
The battery cells are different, so we should pay attention to the battery management system.
Leave a Reply