A data-based and comprehensive overview of battery pack
- What is a battery pack? What is the difference between a battery pack and a power bank?
- How does the battery pack consist of?
- What is the manufacturing process of lithium battery packs?
- The process classification of battery packs
- What kind of cells are there in the battery pack?
- What’s the function of BMS in the battery pack?
- What factors will affect the quality of the battery pack?
- How to test the battery pack? What are the standards and equipment?
- What are the application scenarios for the battery packs?
- Can a battery pack be customized?
- What should be paid attention to when charging and discharging lithium battery packs?
- How can we store and transport the battery pack?
- How to choose the right battery pack factory?
- Why do you choose Topak as your battery pack manufacturer?
As the rapid development of battery, the significance of battery pack is also discovered. Battery pack is a useful way to protect battery and provide more energy, which is good to battery maintenance.
What is a battery pack? What is the difference between a battery pack and a power bank?
A battery pack consists of several identical battery cells. These cells store electrical energy and supply power to an electrical system.
A battery pack and a power bank are power storage devices. There is a big difference between them. The power bank is equivalent to a battery pack that has been reduced many times. It is only used for people to charge small devices such as mobile phones in an emergency.
It is small in size and small in capacity, and the usage scene is very simple. At present, with the popularity of portable energy storage, power banks may gradually fade out of people’s field of vision. The application scenarios of battery packs are far wider than that of power banks, with large capacity and sufficient power, which can supply power to various small or large power equipment.
How does the battery pack consist of?
The battery pack consist of one more cells connected in series or parallel It also includes insulating plates, heat sinks, battery management system and other external structural fixings, shells, external connectors, wires, charging/discharging interfaces, and other accessories.
What is the manufacturing process of lithium battery packs?
The manufacturing process of lithium battery packs includes several steps in a row. These are:
- The sorting is the first step in the manufacturing process of lithium battery packs. The equipment involved in this step is a sorting machine.
- The second step is dividing. The equipment involved in this step is a sub-capacity cabinet.
- The third step in this process is welding.
(i) Manual spot-welding machine.
(ii) Double-sided automatic welding machine.
(iii) Laser welding machine
- Comprehensive test of battery pack Equipment: comprehensive tester.
- The battery pack differential pressure test performs in this step. The equipment involved in this step is a differential pressure tester.
- Battery pack ageing test. The equipment involved in this step is an ageing cabinet.
- A comprehensive test of the battery pack performs in this step. The equipment involved in this step is a comprehensive tester.
- In the last step, set aside the battery pack for 3-7 days before departing the factory.
The process classification of battery packs
The process classification of battery packs consists of the injection molding process, buckle and screw process, frame plus steel sheet, board plus line blowing PVC film, and ultrasonic welding process.
What kind of cells are there in the battery pack?
The nature, numbers and arrangement of cells determined the basic specifications, voltage and capacity parameters of the battery pack. The cylindrical, prismatic, and pouch are three kinds of cells that are often used in the battery packs. Let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each kind of cell one by one.
There are following some advantages of cylindrical cells while making the battery pack.
- They have high production efficiency.
- Because of the low package cost, they are suitable for mass production.
- There will be no swelling of the outer packaging of the battery.
- There is a void between the cells.
- These are relatively bulky because of their steel or aluminium shells packaged.
There are following some advantages of pouch cells while making the battery pack.
- Pouch cells are lightweight due to the packaging of polymer-coated aluminium foil casing.
- High energy density
- They have high power capacity and the best safety performance.
- Flexible and can be made into various shapes.
- They have high-cost production.
- They cause battery swelling due to overcharging or overheating.
There are following some advantages of prismatic cell while making the battery pack.
- They have good packaging efficiency because of the layered approach to their materials.
- Their shell is made of aluminium, steel or other materials which give high structural strength to them.
- They have the relatively low energy density of the battery pack because of their heavy shell.
- They have complex processing.
- They may have the problem of heat dissipation.
- They can be customized according to the size of the product, so it is difficult to unify the manufacturing process.
What’s the function of BMS in the battery pack?
A battery management system (BMS) performs the following function in the battery pack.
- It protects battery pack from damage.
- It controls charging and discharge.
- It monitors the capacity, state of charge and power consumption.
- It ensures optimal performance by monitoring and controlling the temperature across the battery pack.
- It provides battery pack with short circuit protection.
- It can recover voltage from over-discharge.
What factors will affect the quality of the battery pack?
There are the following factors which affect the quality of the battery pack:
- The cells (The nature, numbers and arrangement of cells determined the basic specifications, voltage and capacity parameters of the battery pack)
- Internal resistance
- Packaging materials
How to test the battery pack? What are the standards and equipment?
The battery pack test performs according to international standards and equipment. The typical battery pack test includes.
- Temperature test
- Corrosion test
- Various stress testing like electrical, environmental and mechanical
- Ageing / Performance test
- External environment simulation test
What are the application scenarios for the battery packs?
- The battery packs use for electric special vehicles (Golf cart, scooter, e bike, electric motorcycle).
- They act as a power source in large-scale solar/wind power energy storage system, grid peak-shaving power supply, integrated power supply system, photovoltaic off-grid grid-connected energy storage power station system.
- The battery packs are also applied in outdoor integrated base station lithium-ion battery power supply, marginal network base station lithium-ion battery pack power supply.
Can a battery pack be customized?
Yes! a battery pack can be customized to meet energy needs. In a battery pack, many cells are joined in a series or parallel to boost voltage or capacity. A battery pack can be customized by various arrangements of cells in a series or parallel configuration. There are the following data and information needed to design a customized battery pack.
- Electrical information
- Mechanical information
- Application scenarios
- Working environment
- Business needs
What should be paid attention to when charging and discharging lithium battery packs?
- 40-60% state of charge is the best state for lithium battery packs to be shipped and stored.
- It is not allowed to reverse the positive and negative poles to use the battery.
- If a battery back is not in use, it should be placed in a cool and dry environment.
Notes on charging the battery pack
- Generally no more than 1C, 0.2C is recommended
- Not in the case of high temperature
- Do not reverse charge the battery
- Do not use chargers with mismatched voltages
Notes on battery pack discharge
- It is forbidden to discharge the battery exceeding the maximum discharge current
- Discharge temperature range -20-60 degrees Celsius
- It should not be stored for a long time when it is discharged to less than 30% charged
- Adjust the overcurrent protection parameters of the protection board according to the actual situation.
How can we store and transport the battery pack?
- Don’t use metals to transport and store battery packs.
- Prevent battery packs from severe mechanical, exposure to sunlight, and rain during transportation.
- Strictly prevent falling, rolling and applying high pressure during loading and unloading.
How to choose the right battery pack factory?
The right battery pack factory is that which supplies battery packs and all its relevant accessories like inverters and BMS. In this way, you will find a point that is familiar to all the parts you’re looking for. The battery pack can have good performance and last longer. If there is any problem with your battery pack, they will suggest a better way to fix or replace it.
A right battery pack factory will help better provide power to equipment and devices. Meanwhile, it will bring you with convenience and high efficiency. In this way, Topak is your best choice. It is a professional and advanced battery pack factory and it also cooperates with lots of famous factories. Topak provides many solutions to battery manufacturers and it has important status about battery pack.
Why do you choose Topak as your battery pack manufacturer?
Topak is one of the leading manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries. Topak follows the ISO system in its manufacturing process. Its 90% staff team is project leaders and engineers with 15 years of experience in their field of battery pack. The company is committed to on-demand development and continuously improving the quality of products.
Topak also plays a leading role in lithium battery multi-parallel technology, intelligent battery development technology, power battery protection circuit technology, etc. In conclusion, it is an excellent factory with rich experience in battery pack and manufacturing.